Monday, June 1, 2009

Wonderful Weekend

This weekend was great. A few things that I did with my friends together were memorable moments.

Saturday we played a bunch of GO games and now Shougi has also become a part of our weekly enjoyment at Japan Club. It’s fascinating to learn something new when playing Shougi, especially the way to protect the weakness of the opening, for example the advancing pawn guarding by a rook. Zaid was really good at this, and he was very careful about the surrounding pieces and thus to win him will be a very difficult task. Now we got Hock Doong and Jimmy joining our small Shougi society initiated by Ryou Takehito, a friend from Brunei.

On the very same night, it was our pleasure being invited to Shino’s sister’s birthday party. It was a warm and lively party, full of her family members and friends. We (me, Zaid and Philip) did enjoy the foods and the relaxing surrounding of it. In Shino’s place, Zaid and me played a game of Xiangqi, although I thought I got better chance of winning, I lost after I did a single mistake by losing a rook without compensation in which I can’t make a comeback and staged an upset to his lead. This shows his formidable strength in concentration.

After that we went to Hock Doong’s place to play RISK, a board game of world conquering. This was my third time playing this game. I and Jacky were playing as a team and we did join forces with Zaid's and Philip's troops. This was to overcome the treaty agreed by Hock Doong and Patrick. RISK is a long game to play and we did manage to finish it in between 3 a.m. to 4 a.m., after being revised by Hock Doong to a simpler version. If not it’ll be at least 5 to 7 hours to finish a single game.

Not to forget our friend in Japan, Boon Ping, was playing as a Malaysia representative. He scores 5 wins and being ranked 20th, a proud achievement and if I remember well it was the highest we got so far in WAGC.

Sunday, we again meet at Japan Club. The difference between going there on two distinct days was we played with the Japanese players more on Sunday. Mr. Tsuda has come back from Japan and a new strong player, Mr. Imura has been coming to play frequently.

After a few games, Philip and I went to Mid Valley to catch a movie, which we got to watch Star Trek for free, because his friend got three free tickets for it. It was my first time watching Star Trek, even though it was broadcasted in Malaysia long time ago. I was exciting to watch a sci-fi movie; with the idea of speed of light space ship, black hole, teleport or warp, aliens, space travel, mind reading and many more. There’s one thing that I can hardly accept, that’s time travel, imagine another self of yours appears before you. Still I thought it was plausible, since there’s no limit for the unexpected to happen, nothing is impossible.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alex, Thanks for coming on that day ! Hope you enjoy it, last night i chat with philip,he said that you teach him violin at sat,did i got a chance to learn from you also ?


    ....................shino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I did not initiate it. I think it was Zaid the one who first asked me how to play Shogi.

    I never thought about asking you all to learn Shogi from me because I'm scared it would hinder your progress in Go. But I was surprise when you all asked me to teach Shogi and even have games with me!

    Playing Shogi with you all have been fun. I hope I can play with you guys when I get back to Malaysia. And thanks for playing Shogi in Japan Club even when I'm not around. This could have attract newcomers to try their hands on Shogi so that they won't feel that it's just a normal 'chess' game.

    Regards,
    Ryou Takehito

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shino; It was unformal for me to teach Philip but I do teach him with my best. I can teach you too but not for the moment since I'm waiting for my uni entrance results.

    Ryou; Hehe, nice to hear from you. For me it's you who bring shougi alive to Malaysian although there's japanese playing there frequently. Hope to see you in near future.

    Regards,

    Alex Chan

    ReplyDelete